Love growing vegetables? Have experience of working with children? Looking for a work this summer? We’ve got an opportunity for you!
UPDATE: Application deadline now extended until Monday 13th June!
Plymouth City Council has received funding from the Department for Education to coordinate a city-wide holiday activity and food programme during the 2022 Easter, Summer and Christmas holidays to support families with children who receive free school meals. The Fit and Fed programme in Plymouth is being managed by the Sports Development Unit who have been coordinating holiday programmes in the city for over six years.
As part of the Fit and Fed 2022 summer holiday activities in the city, Food Plymouth are seeking individuals to deliver a series of interactive workshops introducing children to growing their own vegetables.
Team members will work in groups of two to deliver two-hour workshops for groups of approximately 25 children, with support from Fit and Fed holiday activity centre staff.
The workshops will run on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays across 4 weeks of the 2022 summer holidays and will take place across a variety of different holiday club settings in the Plymouth area.
The sessions will focus around a pea-shoot growing activity, with children planting their own peas to take home with them. Full instructions and all of the materials required to deliver the workshops will be provided by Food Plymouth. As well as being part of the Fit and Fed provision, the sessions are linking in to a Veg Cities campaign for Plymouth – learn about the wider Veg Cities campaign here.
A full driving licence and the ability to transport materials in your own vehicle are required, with an allowance for travel expenses provided.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidates will have:
- Knowledge and experience of growing vegetables
- Experience of working or volunteering with children, ideally of primary school age
- A full driving license and access to own vehicle
- The ability, confidence and enthusiasm to inspire and engage a group of children over two hours
Terms and rates of pay
- Each team member will be paid £50.00 per session + a travel expense allowance
- This is offered on a short-term contract basis only and is not an employed position
- Enhanced DBS checks will be required and undertaken by Food Plymouth
How to apply
Please submit a written application via email to email@example.com by no later than Sunday 5th June 2022, covering the following:
– Contact details
– Relevant knowledge and experience relating to the above description
– Any restrictions on your availability over the period 1st August – 1st September 2022
– Why you want to be part of the delivery team for this short-term project
– Whether you would be happy to provide transport for a fellow team member if required
– Any other information you feel may be relevant
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with queries about the role or application process. You can also download all of the above information here: Fit & Fed x Veg Cities Team Member Advert.